10/18/2014

Janie's Journal, Part I

Oct. 6th?

Dear Hanna,
Dad says we have just a few more days to go until we get to the river. He says that they’ll be able to help me over there, that they’ll be able to take it out. I know he doesn’t want to scare me, but I’m not dumb. I can see that he’s scared, too. After we lost Mom, he’s been that way. Mr. and Mrs. Kroft are only making him more tense, too- they’re saying that if I don’t get help soon, that they’ll put me down.

Dear Janie,    
Your father is right, my child. He is overprotective for a reason – you’re all he has left. He blames himself for what happened to your Mother – and in a way, he is. Going to Dallas was his first mistake; he should’ve realized it wasn’t safe there.
But do not be afraid, my child. I will protect you, even when he can’t.

Oct. 7th?

Dear Hanna,
Thank you! I needed that… but I think… I feel like it was my fault Mom is gone. I feel like I should have been quieter! If I had been, maybe then those men wouldn’t have found us. And they wouldn’t have… taken Mom.

Dear Janie,
Your mother fared a far better death than what she could have endured at the hands of, say, the Smiler. Next time, of course, you will have to keep a cool head- especially at the Mississippi. If we are to have safe passage, you’ll need to be quiet.

No comments:

Post a Comment